Italian Dressing Mix is super easy and way better than store bought! Full of flavor with ingredients you have right in the pantry.
Making your own condiments and mixes are so much better for you and so easy. Try these easy and incredible homemade mixes, Pancake, Onion Soup, and Ranch Seasoning mix.
Homemade Italian Dressing Mix
There are many things on the supermarket shelves that when you think about it, they’re way better and easier to make homemade. It just takes a bit of effort and about 5 minutes. Once you start making your own, you won’t be able to stop. And that is a good thing. Making your own mixes, sauces and bases from scratch not only save you money, but they are incredibly delicious. You just can’t get the taste of homemade from a can, or jar. You have to try it.
Have I convinced you yet? Well besides saving you money, and tasting better, you can also customize your mixes, and sauces to your families’ liking. Leave out a certain spice here or add a little extra there. You get to become master of your own flavorings and seasonings. It is so easy and so simple. Need more convincing? Try some of these other incredible recipes. Try the Best Taco, Fajita, and Everything Bagel Seasonings to see what I mean.
Ingredients for Italian Dressing Mix
With ingredients that you can pronounce and flavor that is amazing this Italian mix is going to change the way you make your dressing! Italian dressing mix is an easy go-to recipe that can stay in your pantry and have a shelf life for all the times you need it.
- Onion powder: Onion creates a mild base for the dressing mix.
- Sugar: Balances out the salt and brightens the seasoning.
- Salt Adds flavor and helps the spices taste their best.
- Oregano: Pungent, herby, and peppery.
- Garlic: Warm heat that has a unique flavor.
- Black pepper: Sharp, woody, and perfect for Italian dressing mix.
- Thyme: Minty, peppery with a hint of floral, it is a must.
- Celery salt: Salt with a hint of that clean celery flavor.
- Basil: A strong sweet and savory flavor that adds so much to this mix.
Let’s Mix It Up!
Mixing it up is the easy part and then make sure you keep it tightly sealed for freshness. In a small bowl combine onion powder, sugar, salt, oregano, garlic, black pepper, thyme, celery salt, and basil.
Tips for Perfect Italian Dressing Mix
Seriously, you can stop buying the packets from the store and save yourself money and time with this Italian dressing mix. It is quick and simple to make and you will be using it more than you realize!
- Sugar: You may be tempted to leave the sugar out, but don’t. It is there to balance the acidity of the vinegar that it is often mixed with for dressing. It is there for a reason.
- Customizable: The best thing about making your own, is you can customize it to your liking. Add a bit more or a bit less of certain herbs as you desire.
- Make it Zesty: When a recipe calls for a Zesty Italian Dressing, you can still use this mix. Just add a few pinches of red pepper flakes.
- Garlicky: If you like it garlic heavy add dried garlic to the mix as well for that extra kick of flavor.
- Store: Keep your Italian dressing mix in a glass jar that has a tight-fitting lid. Be sure to label it so you know what it is. This will keep for up to 6 months when kept in a cool dry place.
Besides making your own incredible Italian dressing with this mix, it has lots of uses. Keep in mind this is different from Italian Seasoning which is made up of just five herbs and does not have sugar in it. I would not recommend substituting one for the other, as they are designed for very specific recipes and taste different. You can use this mix however whenever you come across Italian dressing Mix in a recipe. It can be used in Pasta salads, sprinkled on vegetables, used as a seasoning for potatoes, chicken, and beef. Let your imagination and taste buds be your guide. Here are some recipes to get you started.
Baked Parmesan Garlic Chicken (4 ingredients!)
Baked Buttery Herb Chicken & Potatoes
Slow Cooker Italian Beef
Slow Cooker Lemon Pepper Chicken
Italian Dressing Mix
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons Oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- In a small bowl combine onion powder, sugar, salt, oregano, garlic, black pepper, thyme, celery salt, 1 teaspoon basil.