This easy grilled lemon chicken recipe just requires a few ingredients and grills up in just a few minutes! It’s tender and juicy and packed with lots of fresh flavors!
Firing up the grill is one of the best parts of the summer because it means it’s time for some new recipes! Try out some of my other grilling favorites like this shrimp, these vegetables or this delicious steak!
Grilled Lemon Chicken Recipe
I am a huge fan of all things that are grilled because it means is warm outside and BBQ season is here! We love cooking on our grill not only because it’s easy clean up but we love switching up our food with the seasons. I love just about anything on the grill and this grilled chicken recipe is no exception. Infused with fresh and bright flavors, this chicken tastes insanely delicious.
Don’t worry about your chicken being dry with this recipe because your end result is tender and juicy chicken. The flavors seep into the chicken through the marinade and then cooking it on the grill seals all of the juice in. Serve this with a delicious salad, veggies and some fruit and you will be coming back to this over and over during grilling season!
Ingredients in Grilled Lemon Chicken
Lucky for you, this recipe only takes a few simple ingredients. Once you whip up the marinade and let your chicken sit for a few minutes then you are on your way to chicken that is grilled to perfection! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Chicken Breasts: You can also use chicken thighs if you prefer dark meat instead. I use boneless and skinless chicken.
- Olive Oil: This will be the base of the marinade.
- Garlic Powder: I love all things garlic and this goes so well with the lemon.
- Onion Powder: The onion powder brings a lot of flavor to the marinade.
- Italian Seasoning: I like to use my homemade Italian seasoning but you can buy some from the store too. All of the spices including thyme, rosemary and oregano pair so well together!
- Lemon: I always like to use fresh lemon juice whenever I can. You use the lemon juice in this recipe but you can also add in some extra lemon zest for some more flavor!
- Salt and Black Pepper: These will enhance all of the flavors in the marinade.
How to Make Grilled Lemon Chicken
This grilled lemon chicken is easy to make and packs a big punch of flavor! Set aside 40 minutes (that includes the time the chicken is in the marinade!) and you will be eating a delicious meal outside in no time!
- Combine: In a medium-sized bowl add the chicken, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and juice from one lemon.
- Marinate: Marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the chicken: Grill chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side. Squeeze fresh lemon over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Here are a few tips on how to grill your lemon chicken so that it’s juicy and cooked to perfection!
- Clean the Grill: Yes, you will want a clean grill before starting. Heat up the grill and then clean it off using a brush or a grill cleaning spray.
- If the meat sticks: Try not to move your meat around on the grill too often. It is best to leave the meat cooking in one place and then flip it over to finish cooking it through. If the meat is sticking to the grill then leave it and it will unstick after it is finished cooking.
- Don’t squish the meat: When grilling it is tempting to lay the spatula on top of the meat and squeeze it down to see all the juices run out. Don’t! This is all the fat and juiciness that you need for flavor and cooking.
- Let it rest: Be patient and let the meat rest before cutting into it. This will help the meat hold tight to all the juiciness in the meat.
- Check the temperature: Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken before you eat it. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers of this grilled lemon chicken, it’s super easy to store and have for later! Place your cooked chicken in an airtight container (or wrap it in aluminum foil) and put it in your fridge. This chicken will last for 3-4 days.
Grilled Lemon Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts or thighs boneless skinless
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- juice from one lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized bowl add the chicken, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and juice from one lemon.
- Marinate for 30 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Grill the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side. Squeeze fresh lemon over the chicken and garnish with lemon slices. Serve warm. Enjoy!
Updated on June 7, 2022