Calling all chocolate lovers! These easy chocolate cake mix cookies melt in your mouth and will land on your “must make for every occasion” list! They are so delicious that you may as well come to terms with the fact that you won’t be able to stop at just one!
Chocolate desserts are a weakness in my household. I put them out on the counter, and BAM! They are gone quicker than you can imagine. Try out some more of our family’s favorites like this chocolate zucchini cake, this amazing death by chocolate cheesecake, and this to-die-for chocolate lava cake!
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
Alright, alright. Where are my parents that love being able to have cookies ready for their kids but don’t have the time to make them from scratch? (Me!) These cookies are for you! They only take a few ingredients, and you can just dump it all into the bowl, mix it up, and voila! You have moist, soft, and delicious cookies!
Cake mix cookies might actually be one of the best-kept baking shortcuts out there. They are so delicious and are a great recipe to have your kids start with if they love to bake! We can easily change up the flavors (I love these lemon cookies!), and you can always add sprinkles, chocolate chips, or even add a delicious glaze on top. Trust me. You won’t ever go back after you try these chocolate cookies!
Ingredients in Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
This recipe only uses 5 ingredients. It doesn’t get much easier than that! These cookies turn out soft and moist and you will think that they were made entirely from scratch! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Chocolate Cake Mix: This is the secret ingredient that makes this recipe so chocolatey and easy!
- Baking Powder: This helps the cookies to rise and have a soft texture.
- Vegetable Oil: This makes the cookies nice and moist.
- Eggs: Let your eggs sit out and come to room temperature before you mix them in.
- Chocolate Chips: You can use chocolate or semi-sweet. Whichever you like best!
Let’s Bake Some Cookies!
I love adding some chocolate chips to this recipe to really take these chocolate cake mix cookies over the top and make them seem like I made them entirely from scratch!
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper, and then set it aside.
- Combine: In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, baking powder, vegetable oil, and eggs until a thick batter forms. Then, add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- Scoop: Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough into cookie dough balls onto the baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake: Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set. If using a large cookie scoop, the cookies may need 19-11 minutes for the edges to set. The center of the cookies will look underbaked, but they will continue to cook as they cool. Overbaking will result in crunchy cookies. Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Easy Tips and Variations
Try making these chocolate cake mix cookies and changing this up every time. Your kids will love them. You will love them… It’s a family recipe that you won’t want to miss!
- Underbake the Cookies: Bake until the edges are just set. The center will look underbaked, but it will continue to cook as the cookies cool. If you bake the cookies until the centers look baked, they will cool and be hard instead of soft.
- Mix-ins: Switch up the chocolate chips! This chocolate cookie provides a nice base for all kinds of chips. Try butterscotch or peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or even dark chocolate chips! A favorite option at our house is to swap them out for mint chips for a mint chocolate cookie!
How to Store Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
These cookies will last for days (assuming you don’t eat them all at once)! I like to bake a few batches at a time so that we can have them all week long!
- Room Temperature: Once your cookies have cooled then place them in an airtight container. They will last on your counter at room temperature for up to 5 days!
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, baking powder, vegetable oil, and eggs until a thick batter forms. Add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly dispersed throughout the batter.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop dough onto the baking sheets, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are set. If using a large cookie scoop, the cookies may need 19-11 minutes for the edges to set. The center of the cookies will look under baked, but they will continue to cook as they cool. Overbaking will result in crunchy cookies. Remove to a cooling rack and cool completely.