Creamy black bean hummus is a healthy and flavorful dip that is a perfect appetizer or snack. Black beans blended with olive oil, lime juice, garlic, delicious spices, cilantro, and tahini create the tastiest hummus you will ever have.
I love taking a good dip to a party because it’s the first thing people get to enjoy! This 5-minute dip is my most requested dip, but people also love this crab dip or this delicious creamy dip in the summertime. Every time I bring one of these dips people always ask for the recipe!
The Best Black Bean Hummus
Classic hummus is made with chickpeas, but this black bean hummus is my new favorite version! Black beans have a delicious creamy texture and pair well with all the other flavors in this recipe. The cumin, cilantro, lime, garlic, and tahini of course, make this hummus so tasty, and I can’t wait for you to try it!
All the flavors in this hummus remind me of some of my other favorite Mexcian appetizers. This amazing Rotel dip, this Texas dip, and my 7-layer dip are just a few of my delicious Mexican-flavored dips. Bring one of them to your next Super Bowl party, or make it as an appetizer for taco night!
Ingredients Needed For Hummus
The ingredients for this easy black bean hummus are simple and fresh! Each ingredient adds so much texture and lots of flavors. Because it’s so delicious, you’re going to want to make this as soon as possible so you can start dipping! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Garlic: Garlic adds lots of flavor to this dip!
- Canned Black Beans: Simply drain and rinse canned black beans. It’s that easy!
- Olive Oil: Oil helps add moisture to the hummus.
- Lime Juice: I love the tangy flavor it adds.
- Tahini: Tahini is KEY to making hummus. Tahini is a sesame paste that I found at any grocery store.
- Cilantro: A great herb to enhance the flavors of the hummus.
- Ground Coriander: Delicious spice with yummy flavor.
- Cumin: Cumin adds flavor and is a great complement to all the other ingredients.
- Paprika: I love using smoked paprika. Both are great options.
- Coarse Salt: Season to taste! Salt brings out all of the flavors.
Black Bean Hummus Recipe
Hummus is a great way to add protein and fiber to your day! This recipe is so easy because you throw it all into a food processor or blender, and it’s ready in minutes. I love to put out a bowl of this black bean hummus for my kids after school. They have so much fun dipping their favorite raw vegetables and chips into it.
- Blend Ingredients: Add all of the ingredients to a food processor, then blend until smooth.
- Add Oil If Needed: Add more oil in small amounts if the hummus is too thick.
- Garnish: Garnish with fresh cilantro, then drizzle on top.
- Serve: Enjoy with fresh vegetables, tortilla chips, crackers, or on a sandwich or burger as a spread.
Garnish Ideas For Serving Hummus:
Make your black bean hummus look even prettier with these tasty and flavorful garnishes. Either blend it in by stirring it together or add it right on top for color and presentation. You will love the look, flavor, and texture that it adds!
- Olive Oil: Drizzle a little more olive oil over the top.
- Black Beans: Add some whole canned black beans that are not blended for look and flavor.
- Jalapenos: Jalapenos aren’t in the recipe, but add sliced jalapenos because it is a Mexican-inspired hummus. Spicy and yummy!
- Cilantro: Chop up fresh cilantro, then sprinkle it over the top.
- Lime Wedges: Add color right on top by garnishing with lime wedges because it is SO pretty!
- Red Pepper Flakes: This is a spicy garnish that I personally love because spicy is my favorite!
Storing Leftover Hummus
You’ll love having this black bean hummus in the fridge to snack on. It is perfect for sandwiches and a healthy snack to enjoy throughout the week. Dip all of your favorite chips and veggies in it!
- In the Refrigerator: Once you are done making your hummus, then you can store it in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
- In the Freezer: If you need any more reasons to make this hummus recipe, it can be frozen for 2-3 months! Simply thaw overnight in the fridge, then you’re ready to enjoy it.
Black Bean Hummus
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 28 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup olive oil, more if needed and for drizzle
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add more oil in small amounts if the hummus is too thick.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and olive oil drizzled on top.
- Enjoy with fresh vegetables, tortilla chips, crackers, or on a sandwich or burger as a spread.