A Smoothie Bowl is perfect when you want all the benefits of a smoothie, but want to eat it with a spoon! Having your smoothie in a bowl makes it feel more like ice cream, but it’s not!
The perfect smoothie bowl is just a blend away and any smoothie can serve as your base. Try Pina Colada, Peanut Butter and Acai Bowl smoothie.
The Perfect Smoothie Bowl
Smoothie bowls are a fun way to have your smoothie and eat it too. When I want my smoothie to feel more like a meal than a snack, I throw it in a bowl. Top it with a variety of toppings and all of a sudden my mind and stomach think I’m having ice cream for breakfast instead of a quick shake. It is a funny thing how I can be fuller longer just by tricking my brain and eating it in a bowl. The toppings, of course, help give it texture and flavor which is pure delight.
Smoothie bowls are great for a quick breakfast, a mid-day snack, or even an after-workout meal. With summer coming this makes is a great way to keep your health goals but have a cold bowl of deliciousness. When I get an ice cream craving or when my kids want something sweet and cold, I whip up one of these special smoothie bowls and all are satisfied. If you have not tried one yet, the time is now!
Ingredients For Your Smoothie Bowl
With just a few ingredients, you can have this whipped up in no time, which makes it perfect for when you are in a hurry.
- Frozen strawberries: Using frozen preserves their nutrition and makes for a sweet smooth consistency.
- Frozen bananas: Peel and freeze overripe bananas to use for times such as this.
- Honey: Sweet and golden, honey is the perfect partner for your fruit.
- Greek yogurt: You can use nonfat or full-fat Greek yogurt, both work beautifully.
- Milk or almond milk: Add more or less milk depending on the consistency you are trying to achieve.
How to Make An Easy Smoothie Bowl
Ready to eat in less than 5 minutes, I call this a winning meal. Fast, refreshing and super good for you. Oh, and did I mention it’s luscious!?
- Blend: In a blender add the frozen strawberries, bananas, honey, yogurt, and milk. Add more milk if needed but you want the consistency to be thicker.
- Top It: Top with desired toppings.
Tips For The Best Smoothie Bowl
Keeping it real. Keep it simple. Keep it awesome!
- Healthy: To keep the smoothie healthy you want to avoid adding a lot of extra sugars, ice cream, or frozen yogurt. Keep to frozen fruit, Greek yogurt, and natural sweeteners.
- Make it Thick: Smoothie bowls should be thick and creamy. You should need a spoon to get it out of the blender. To get optimal thickness mix the berries first, just till they are small pebble-like pieces. Then add in your yogurt and honey and blend till just incorporated. Last pour in your liquid, but only half at a time. Blend and add milk till you reach the right consistency.
- Boost: Give your smoothie a nutritional boost by adding in protein powder, superfood powders, spinach, or nut butter.
Smoothie Bowl Toppings
Half the fun of a smoothie bowl is getting creative with the toppings. Your imagination is your limit here on all the ways to top these amazing smoothie bowls. Here are ideas to get you started!
- Kiwi, sliced banans, or blueberries.
- Pumpkin Seeds, chopped pecans, or walnuts
- Chia Seeds, flaxseeds
- Coconut Flakes
- Granola, mini chocolate chips, or cocoa nibs.
- Honey, nut butter, chocolate, or caramel drizzle.
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 2 cups frozen bananas
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2-1 cup milk or almond milk
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Coconut Flakes
- In a blender add the frozen strawberries, bananas, honey, yogurt, and milk. Add more milk if needed but you want the consistency to be thicker.
- Top with desired toppings.