Coconut shrimp is insanely delicious! One of the best appetizers out there, these mouthwatering air-fried coconut shrimp are crispy, lightweight, and completely delightful! This appetizer is one that is sure to have your guests coming back for more!
Cooking coconut shrimp in the air fryer is a quick and easy way to have your favorite dish without all of the added oil. It’s healthier but somehow just as tasty! Try some of these other amazing air fryer recipes such as air fryer fried pickles, these 5-minute air fryer biscuit pizzas or these delicious air fryer corn dogs!
Why Cook Coconut Shrimp With an Air Fryer?
Cooking with an air fryer is a great way to get that traditional taste of fried foods without all of the extra oil! I love using my air fryer for that reason! It’s such a simple and easy way to maintain the delicious taste. Plus, because I don’t have to deal with any oil splatters, it makes clean-up a breeze! Did you know that by using just 1 tablespoon of cooking oil rather than a couple of cups of it to deep fry your recipe, you get the same great results but at a fraction of the fat? It’s a win, win situation!
I also love that when I use the air fryer that I don’t have to compromise on taste! These air-fried coconut shrimp provide that same golden, crispy texture on the outside and the delicious, juicy shrimp on the inside. Using the air fryer also allows me to focus on other tasks in the kitchen while these are cooking. It eliminates my need to stand next to the stove monitoring them the entire time. That way, I can have delicious coconut shrimp AND be focused on cooking other dishes because these are so easy once you pop them in and wait for them to be finished!
Ingredients for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Simple yet satisfying, these air fryer shrimp will be sure to deliver on taste and texture! See the full recipe below for exact ingredient measurements!
- Large shrimp: Make sure that the shrimp is peeled with the tails left on and deveined.
- Eggs: Eggs create a sticky base for the breadcrumbs and coconut.
- Flaked coconut: Make sure that the coconut flakes are unsweetened.
- Panko breadcrumbs: These breadcrumbs will be the key ingredient in getting that crispy texture!
- All-purpose flour: This creates a base for all of the ingredients used to cover the shrimp.
- Garlic powder: This will give you a hint of garlic flavor that compliments the coconut!
- Paprika: Garnishing with paprika is optional but it will add a slight sweet pepper flavor, without any added heat.
- Salt: Adding the salt to the dish will help to bring out all of the other flavors.
- Black pepper: Freshly ground black pepper will give a slight hint of heat to the taste without making it too spicy or hot
Instructions for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
This recipe is SOO delicious that you will think that you ordered it from a restaurant! This air fryer shrimp brings a delicious flavor and crispy golden texture without being drenched in oil!
- Beat and combine: Beat eggs in a small bowl and set aside. Combine breadcrumbs and coconut in another bowl and set aside. Lastly, combine flour and spices in a 3rd bowl.
- Dip and coat: Dip shrimp in small batches in the flour mixture then the egg mixture. Next, let the excess drip off the shrimp and then coat in the coconut/breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Cook and flip: Place the shrimp in the basket of the air fryer. Cook at 360 degrees for 10 minutes flipping halfway through or until shrimp is cooked throughout.
Tips for Cooking Coconut Shrimp
Shrimp seems like it should be a complicated dish since it’s available at every restaurant, but it’s not! Follow these quick tips and in return, you will come out with an amazing dish and wondering why you haven’t tried them before!!
- Dry your shrimp: Make sure that you pat your shrimp dry with a paper towel. This will help the flour stick to the shrimp.
- Preheat the air fryer: If you preheat your fryer beforehand, it will create a good sear on food and have a crispy outside texture.
- Keep the tails on: Make sure to leave the tails on your shrimp. It makes them easier to eat!
- Use fresh shrimp (or make sure yours is fully thawed): The breading won’t stick to frozen shrimp so make sure the shrimp is fresh and fully thawed.
- Don’t layer the shrimp: Make sure that you only lay a single layer of shrimp in the basket at once so that you ensure even cooking.
- Don’t forget to flip: Remember to flip your shrimp halfway through. This will give each side of your shrimp to obtain that crispy, golden texture on the outside!
- Parchment liners: If you are using parchment liners with holes in your air fryer, do not place liners in the air fryer during preheating.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
These shrimp are so delicious that you might want to save some for tomorrow’s meal too! Here are a few tips on how you can store and reheat these delicious shrimp!
- Refrigerator: Once they are cooled completely, place the leftover shrimp in a ziplock bag or an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
- Reheat: To reheat your shrimp the next day, follow these simple instructions: Turn your air fryer to 350°F degrees. Put your leftover fried shrimp in (one layer at a time). Reheat them for 3 to 4 minutes until they are golden and crispy.
Insanely Delicious Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound large shrimp about 25 peeled (tails left on), deveined
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Beat eggs in a small bowl and set aside. Combine breadcrumbs and coconut in another bowl and set aside. Lastly, combine flour and spices in a 3rd bowl.
- Dip shrimp in small batches in the flour mixture then the egg mixture (letting the excess drip off the shrimp and then coat in the coconut/breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Place the shrimp in the basket of the air fryer. Cook at 360 degrees for 10 minutes flipping half way through or until shrimp is cooked throughout.