Super easy and made with simple ingredients, you can ditch the box mix and make your own Homemade Pancake Mix. Make the most delicate, divinely fluffy pancakes whenever you want for your family!
Making things from scratch is so unbelievably easy. Just like this Insanely Good Homemade Granola, but it can be intimidating like the thought of making Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup. But the great news is, just like those recipes, this is insanely easy and quick and once you try it, you’ll never go back.
The Best Pancake Mix
Not only is super simple but the pancakes it makes are so good! Fluffy, soft, tender and melt in your mouth tasty. Warm breakfasts are so great to wake up to and this makes it so easy. Just whip this up with some milk, eggs, and oil and you’ve got a hot breakfast in no time. Pancakes really are fast and they’re just so comforting, everyone loves them.
Buying and preparing all of your own foods is the single easiest way to ensure that you know exactly what your family is eating. It is also a great way to save money on groceries! Most premade baking mixes are typically simply mixtures of very simple, common dry baking ingredients. This homemade pancake mix is easy to whip up and is a great way to save on the budget.
You probably already have these in your pantry.
- Flour: All purpose flour works best for fluffy pancakes
- Baking Powder: This gives you fluffiness and puffs the pancakes up.
- Sugar: A little bit of sweetness to add in the pancakes.
- Salt: Always needed for balance!
How to Make Pancake Mix
Ever look at the ingredients in those box mixes? Can’t pronounce some of them can you and you don’t even know what they’re for, and you’re feeding that to your family. Now you can know exactly what’s in your pancake mix!
- Mix: Whisk all the ingredients together. Place in a sealed container and keep in a dry cool place.
Pancake Mix from Scratch
Now it’s time to use the mix for fluffy yummy pancakes. It is just two simple instructions to making the best pancakes at home.
- Mix: In a medium bowl mix together 1 cup of milk 1 egg and 2 Tablespoons of oil. Add in 1 cup of pancake mix and stir till combined.
- Cook: Drop by 1/4 cups in a heated buttered skillet on medium heat.
What Can I Put in my Pancake Mix?
There are so many variations and fun ways to eat a pancake. From classic butter and syrup to adding in fruit or chocolate, these pancakes are amazingly delicious. Your family will be raving how good they are!
- Spices: This is the perfect base to add spices. When you add your mix to the wet ingredients add in cinnamon, vanilla, pumpkin spice, or other flavorings.
- Mix ins: To your wet mix add in mashed bananas, nuts, blueberries, chocolate chips, chia seeds, flax meal or protein powder for variations.
- Flour: You can use whole wheat flour, unbleached flour or all purpose flour in this pre mix.
Tips and Storing Homemade Pancake Mix
- Double: Feel free to double the mix or even triple it. I like to make lots of pancakes at once and freeze them for even quicker hot breakfasts in the morning.
- Wait: When cooking your pancakes wait for those bubbles to form on top to ensure you don’t end up with gooey middles.
- Butter: For extra richness substitute melted butter for the oil. So yummy!
- Don’t over mix: It’s important when you mix your wet with dry ingredients you don’t over mix. It’s ok to have a few little lumps.
- Storage: The shelf life of this homemade mix is about the same as any you’d find at the store. This should keep for 6-8 months in a cool dark place. Make sure your jar or container has a tight seal as well.
More Homemade Goodness
Because Homemade is always better, and unbelievably easy!
- Homemade Cheese Sauce
- Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Easiest Marinara Sauce
- Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce
Homemade Pancake Mix
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
To make pancakes:
To make chocolate chip pancakes:
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together 1 cup milk, 1 egg and 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil. Add in 1 cup of pancake mix and stir until combined. Fold in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.