Cinnamon sugar rhubarb cake is a real crowd pleaser! The complementary ingredients of sweet and tart are incredible and are really going to knock your socks off!
I love a good combination of flavors and this slice of heaven most definitely checks that off the list! It’s a fantastic dessert that everyone will absolutely love. Cakes are my jam and if they are yours too, don’t miss out on Chantilly Berry Cake, Praline Apple Bundt Cake and Kentucky Butter Cake!!
What is Rhubarb?
Before I can convince you to make this delectable cake, I should probably explain what is in it! Rhubarb is a crispy, crunchy vegetable with a tartness that resembles that of green apples or grapes. Because of the somewhat tart taste, most people like to mix it with some sugar when baking! Which is why you see it mostly made into pies, muffins, and CAKES! In addition to all of this, rhubarb looks like celery stalks except it has a beautiful ruby red coloring that makes it look so appetizing!
This recipe combines the rhubarb with a sweet cinnamon-sugar mixture and the blend of the two flavors is completely delightful. It is an easy treat to enjoy at any time of the day and can not only be used as a dessert but would be fantastic at breakfast and brunch too! The cinnamon truly enriches the flavor and is what makes this cake stand out. Eat it warm, right out of the oven, and top it with some vanilla ice cream and you will for sure be back for seconds!
Ingredients for Cinnamon Sugar Rhubarb Cake
Of course, heaping amounts of rhubarb are going to be the main ingredient in this cake but everything else is super simple! You should have most of these ingredients on hand! See the recipe card below for a list of exact measurements.
- Butter: Soften the butter to room temperature and make sure that it’s unsalted!
- Sugar: This helps to create tender, softer texture in the cake!
- Brown sugar: Adds sweetness to counteract the tart rhubarb.
- Egg: Binds the dry ingredients together.
- Vanilla: Brings out the sweet flavor of the other ingredients.
- Lemon zest: Who doesn’t love what fresh lemon zest brings to a recipe??
- Flour: All purpose flour is what I used for this recipe.
- Baking soda: This is what will give you that moist, fluffy cake texture!
- Salt: Brings out the natural flavor of all of the ingredients.
- Buttermilk: If you don’t have any on hand, try making the delicious buttermilk instead!
- Rhubarb: Of course you need rhubarb for rhubarb cake!! Heap those cups, no skimping!
- Granulated sugar and cinnamon: This topping will take this cake to the next level! Don’t skip on this!
How to Make Rhubarb Cake
You will love the fruits (vegetables?!) of your labors on this cake! Quick and simple, you will have a delicious, creative dessert in no time. You not only won’t be able to keep it on the table but you will definitely be asked more than once for the recipe!
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- Mix: In the bowl of a mixer beat the butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla and lemon zest and beat until incorporated.
- Sift: In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking soda and salt together.
- Combine and Pour: In 2-3 additions, alternate adding the buttermilk and dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer. Once well combined, mix in the chopped rhubarb by hand. Pour the batter in the pan and top with the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Bake and Serve: Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean from the center. Serve warm.
Tips for Cinnamon Sugar Rhubarb Cake
Cinnamon sugar rhubarb cake is quick and simple, but packs a huge punch of rhubarb flavor!
- Brown Sugar and Granulated Sugar: Using both white and brown sugars gives this cake a nice depth of sweetness to balance out the tartness of the rhubarb. In a pinch, you could substitute either sugar for the other by just using all granulated or all brown sugar!
- Heaping Cup of Rhubarb: Don’t skimp on the amount of rhubarb! Use the full three heaping cups of rhubarb for the full zingy flavor in this delicious cake.
- Frozen Rhubarb: If fresh rhubarb isn’t available and you have frozen rhubarb, you can substitute for 4 cups of frozen rhubarb. Make sure you thaw it and drain any water from it before folding it into your cake batter.
Storing Cinnamon Sugar Rhubarb Cake
The texture of this cake is heavenly! It is extremely moist because of how much rhubarb is in it, which helps it last for several days.
- Room Temperature: Store this cake at room temp and cover it with plastic wrap for up to 5 days. It can be served room temperature or warmed gently in the microwave.
- In the Refrigerator: Alternatively, this cake can also be stored in the fridge but it is not necessary. Chilling the cake will extend the shelf life to up to 7 days!
Cinnamon Sugar Rhubarb Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 heaping cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 9×13 pan and set it aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer beat the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the egg, vanilla, and lemon zest and beat until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In 2-3 additions, alternate adding the buttermilk and dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer. Once well combined, mix in the chopped rhubarb by hand. Pour the batter into the pan and top with the cinnamon-sugar topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean from the center. Serve warm.