Chickpea curry is easy, healthy, and bursting with flavor! You’ll be hooked after one bite of this hearty curry loaded with garlic, spices, and tender pieces of potato.
There’s nothing better than a bowl full of steamed rice and warm curry! Skip the takeout and try making massaman curry, vegetable curry, and butter chicken next!
Easy Chickpea Coconut Curry Recipe
If you haven’t already jumped on the chickpea train, now’s the time to do so! You can make so many amazing, healthy recipes with them! Pop them in the air fryer, throw them in tacos, or make some easy hummus for the whole family to enjoy! Chickpeas are packed with protein and fiber, making each meal something you can feel great about eating! To be honest, this creamy chickpea coconut curry is the most delicious addition to the lineup!
Chickpeas, sautéed onions, minced garlic, and tender chunks of potato are all simmered in coconut milk and spices. The result? Creamy, flavorful perfection! This chickpea curry has a nice, mild flavor. It’s something that can be enjoyed by all! (However, if you’re looking to kick up the heat, I’ve got your back! See my tips section below!) So, if you’re looking for a dinner that will knock your family’s socks off, this is it! Serve it up with some garlic butter naan for a meal that’s truly unforgettable.
Ingredients for Chickpea Curry
Nothing fancy is needed for this one! With just a few basic ingredients and spices, you’ll have a big pot of this chickpea curry cooking up in no time! See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Olive Oil: Used for stir-frying the onions, garlic, and potato pieces.
- Onion: Diced onion adds the perfect sharp flavor. I used a yellow onion here, but you can use a white onion if you want something sweeter!
- Garlic: Garlic makes everything better! Stir-fried, it has a great caramelized, savory flavor.
- Potato: Potatoes get so soft and flavorful when you cook them in a pot of curry! You’re going to love it!
- Crushed Tomatoes: Add flavor and act as a base for the curry.
- Canned Coconut Milk: You can use light coconut milk to keep this dish diet-friendly, but I always use full-fat for the perfect creamy touch.
- Chickpeas: Canned chickpeas work great here! Be sure to drain and rinse them so your curry doesn’t become watery.
- Salt: Enhances overall flavor.
- Curry Powder: Use your favorite brand or make it from scratch!
- Brown Sugar: This is optional! I like to add it in to keep my chickpea curry on the sweeter side.
- Fresh Cilantro and Lime: To top it all off, add aromatic cilantro and lime slices as garnish!
How to Make Chickpea Curry
This chickpea curry is so easy to make! Really, all you have to do is put everything into a big pot and cook! It only takes 30 minutes from start to finish. If my teenage sons can make it, so can you!
- Saute Vegetables: To begin, in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and diced onion. Sauté for 3 minutes until softened. Then, add the minced garlic and cubed potato. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Next, add coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, curry powder, and brown sugar if using. Whisk in all of the ingredients to combine.
- Cook: Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and chickpeas are tender, and the sauce is thickened.
- Enjoy: Serve with rice, and garnish with cilantro leaves and fresh lime!
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
Even if it’s your first time making curry, I’m sure it will turn out perfectly! It’s a lot easier to make than you’d think and so delicious. Sorry local Indian restaurant, no more takeout orders for you! Here are a few tips and tricks to making the best chickpea curry possible.
- Add Spice: Hey there, lovers of heat! If the base recipe is too mild for you, you can add powdered chili peppers, cayenne, and fresh hot peppers to kick it up a notch (or three.)
- Use a Slow Cooker: Want an amazing, hearty dinner to come home to? This can also be made by putting everything into a crock pot and cooking on low for about 6 hours.
- Serve With: Rice and naan is always a good idea! You can also serve this alongside a salad, chutney, or some Tandoori chicken.
How Long Does it Last?
Chickpea curry is a recipe that stores and reheats beautifully! You’ll love having it for lunch.
- In the Refrigerator: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- In the Freezer: You can store your curry in a freezer safe bag for up to 3 months.
- Reheating: Allow frozen curry to thaw overnight in the fridge before using. I like to reheat chickpea curry over the stove at medium heat, stirring occasionally, until completely warmed through.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 large potato, peeled, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 (13.5 ounce) canned coconut milk
- 2 (15 ounce) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional-if you prefer it slightly sweet)
- fresh cilantro and lime for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and diced onion. Sauté for 3 minutes until softened. Add the minced garlic and cubed potato. Continue to cook and stir over medium heat for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, crushed tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, curry powder, and brown sugar if using. Whisk in all of the ingredients to combine.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes and chickpeas are tender, and the sauce is thickened.
- Serve with rice, and garnish with cilantro leaves and fresh lime!
Zucchini can be used in place of or in addition to the potato.